the time of my life

Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Hey all, it's been awhile.

It's been quite some time since I posted. I had originally planned for this to be a regular thing, but my hectic schedule got in the way. I hope to keep up this semester, so ya'll can follow along with what is happening.

Since we've talked last, I have finished my first semester of grad school and completed my internship with Congressman Shimkus. Classes went very well this semester. I wholeheartedly feel (after one semester at UIS) that the Poli-Sci program here deserves more recognition, I've been very impressed w/ the professors and courses. As far as my experience with Shimkus, I'd definitely say that the internship was worthwhile-it sucked that it was unpaid, but I learned a ton and made a lot of worthwhile contacts here in the capitol city. Wheeeeee...

Speaking of internships, I just got my first bitter taste of rejection. ARG. I applied for an internship w/ Cook-Witter, a well-respected lobbying firm here in Springfield. I got an interview with them, and made it into the final round; however, they ended up giving the job to someone else. I, of course, was gracious on the phone, but was, of course, inwardly furious & upset. (being as self-critical and insecure as I am) However, Bruce of C-W told me that they had been very impressed w/ my resume, and had decided to forward it to one of their clients.

So, moving on, I had my interview with them today, and it went VERY well, unlike my C-W interview, during which I was fighting the flu. Heather, the woman who interviewed me, seemed very impressed with my experience thus far, and told me that I came to to the interview very highly recommended by C-W. It looks promising-so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm realistic, though, and I won't get my hopes up. If I get this internship, it will be extremely similar to the one w/ C-W, and will have me down at the capitol during session, sitting in on committee meetings, speaking on varioius issues, and doing research and writing. In short, it's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for!

Anyway, enough of that. *fingers crossed* Not much else is happening. Work sucks, bc of inventory, and the weather is freezing, but things are generally good. I'm taking 12 hours this semester, (my first class is next Tuesday night) I'm getting a new roommate this weekend, and some of my pals are coming to visit on Friday. Nothing much else for now...I'm going to make dinner and hang out for awhile...more later kiddies, peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home