the time of my life

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Ah....it's been an interesting week and a half...

To begin, school has started again. Happy fun times resume...or not. I can't believe it's my last semester of grad school. Last semester I did pretty well, an A and a B+, which leaves me with a pretty good GPA should I wish to start a Ph.D. program in the near future. This semester I'm going to be hella busy, with 2 classes in addition to writing my thesis, whose topic is newly revised (ask me about it only if you're really bored...I turn into a total nerd when I'm talking about my research!). As busy as my semester will be (along w/ work), I intend to enjoy it fully and enjoy the time I have left with my Springfield friends, some of which will not be here after this summer. I haven't formed the intense bonds of friendship that I did in Chambana, at least not with the majority of my UIS friends; however, I have made some really great friends and great acquaintences, and the experience has been very good. And we all have a great time together, and with the exception of Fall 2003, I know I will have wonderful memories of grad school. (As far as Fall '03, I was still spending way too much time in Champaign-Urbana to experience Springfield fully)

Last Saturday was my "Reunion 2005" party, where I invited Springfield friends, a couple of friends from SO-IL, and Chambana friends to my apartment to drink, socialize, and do whatever. I have quite the eclectic mix of friends, and I must say that I think they all meshed extremely well, even though some of them did not know each other (many of them had heard of each other, though). There were many hillarious episodes throughout the evening, not all of which I can talk about, (ask me for details) but overall I call the party a huge success, and I loved seeing everyone (I just wished I could have talked to everyone more).

As far as everything else...things are going really well right now. I'm nervous about job-hunting, which is looming. I've been dead-set on moving to Washington D.C. to try an internship before settling on a job wherever, while I still really want to see what D.C. is like, there are reasons to stay in Springfield. Number 1 being security-if I stay here, I will undoubtedly find a job, make a good living, and immerse myself in state politics. I'll be around for 2006 elections when JBT makes her run for governor-that would be a great campaign to get on board with. Also, Dan Rutherford will be running for Secretary of State...another great campaign to be on! There are opportunities in Springfield, my family is nearby, and many of my good friends will be in the area (or at least in the state). Moving to D.C. would sacrifice a lot of security, but it's a risk that one must be willing to take in order to pursue a career in politics. It's a tough decision. It comes down to deciding 1) what I really want and 2) where I want it to happen at. I'm planning on making a trip to D.C. this spring to meet with people from Shimkus' office & resume drop, to visit friends out there, and just to take in the city and see if I can picture myself out there.

Oh, and there's something else I feel like discussing in my blog. You know people who talk about fate? I've never been a huge believer in fate...I've actually been one of those people who believes you create your own destiny by the choices you make, etc. etc. etc. and you're the only one responsible for things that happen to you...you might say I listen to Dr. Phil to much.

But every now and then in life strange things happen...things so unexpected that you can't help but wonder if there is a such thing as fate. Because you realize with the slightest change in timing, the said event might not even have happened. Funny, huh? And it's funny how these things happen when you are totally not looking for it or expecting it. Or when you don't even think you need it. And then it happens, and you realize you do need it and wonder how you were living without it. And it's amazing how an encounter/conversation(s) can totally change your views on a certain subject or people in general.

Anyway, I'm just going to say an event like that mentioned above has recently happened to me, and I'm not trying to define it...I'm just enjoying it for what it is.


Not much else is going on...getting ready to head downtown w/ friends to watch the Illini/Penn State game. :o) GO ILLINI!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home