the time of my life

Saturday, January 31, 2004

Memories...gotta love 'em

Current Mood: Reminiscent

Current Song to convey mood: Summer of '69

"The only thing that remains the same is that everything changes"

And the sooner you learn to realize this, the better. It's amazing the clarity that comes w/ just one year's time. A year ago, I was a senior at my beloved University of Illinois, walking the halls of a place that I had loved and dreamed of attending since I was a young child (so sue me-I didn't dream of Harvard or Yale or an equally stuffy place, I wanted to be an ILLINI, ever since the first time I saw Chief dance out on the field!), taking amazing classes, involved in the most kick-ass organization on campus (which, literally, kicked ass...hahaha...let me hear it for my CR's!), enjoying a lively social life :o) in addition to having some of the greatest friends imaginable.

When you're involved in a situation like that, it seems impossible that you'll ever have to break away from that and start fresh somewhere else. But unfortunately, that's the bittersweet nature of college. I had the same feelings after high school graduation, and after graduation from KC-both places that I had great friends from, and amazing memories. Victoria, being part of the most recent crop of U of I grads, was talking to me about last night about how amazing it is that things can change so quickly-and she's right. I remember how things were a year ago, and I see how some relationships since then have blossomed, and withered away, some long-standing relationships have been destroyed, while others remain as strong as ever. It’s comforting to know that your true friends are never more than a hop, skip, or a phone call away…the case is true w/ my best friends from home, my KC friends, and the Chambananites…you can’t ever have too many friends, in my opinion. :o) And Springfield is finally feeling like home…I feel like it takes about 6 months to get fully adjusted to a new place, and I’m finally feeling comfortable w/ my friends here, w/ my roommates, and with the new surroundings. It’s always confusing and a little weird at first, but things are good.

Anyway, to take a turn OFF of memory lane and change the subject, I just got drunk dialed by the residents of 1004-a.k.a. Dan and Joe, who, for their previous drinking records did NOT sound all that drunk. They’re having their big Super Bowl party tomorrow, and for the first time in a few years, I won’t be going. I’ve actually got plans w/ people here-but given the state of my car, I might just end up staying in and hanging out w/ the roommates, which wouldn't be all that bad. We get along great. I miss the U of I kids, but I see them on quite the regular basis, all things considered. And I’m really starting to feel at home here in Springfield. Still, I can't live life completely without Murphy's (lol) and with that said I’m planning on going back to Chambana sometime in February, once I get settled into the new semester routine. And Victoria and maybe Natalie are coming next weekend, yay! Me and V will finally get to see Second City, which is coming to Sangamon auditorium. Fun times.

Anyway, I don’t know much else. I’m getting caught up on the work from this past week, now that the moving hysteria is over, and classes are looking busy but good. Week 2 of the internship should be exciting-I’m going to be running around the capitol like a crazy woman, and I couldn’t be more excited :D Anyway, I’m going back downstairs to watch tv w/ Elizabeth (I’m feeling pretty tired and low-key right about now), so, I love you all, and g'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home