the time of my life

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

WOW, someone really put a lot of effort into this pile of filth. It even warranted another post in the same evening. Guess you'll have more quality reading material after all.

BTW, I'm watching the VP debate while fishing around the web, which is how I came across the above link.

I'm sick of the new lows that this campaign has sunk to, democrats and republicans alike. But I'm particularly disgusted with the leftists coming out Hollywood and their deluded beliefs that they are the only enlighted ones (from the war to the president to politics in general). They wonder why such entities as Fox News exist, I'll TELL you why they exist. They exist to combat the overwhelmingly liberal bias in the media and entertainment industry, from the New York Times to CNN to the swill coming out of Hollywood and the music industry (Nashville excluded). I am ESPECIALLY disgusted with John Kerry's inability to focus and take a real position on one issue (with the exception of his anti-Bush agenda). Despite my issues and disagreements with our current Commander-in-Chief, I would gladly take 4 more years of Bush than an indecisive, pansy-ass leader such as Kerry who is incable of taking a stand on anything unless it assures him greater popularity among his constituents.

Onto me and my politics...why I am who I am...

I'm not rich. I'm not a latte-swigging/SUV-driving/holier-than-thou/neo-conservative from an elitist suburban area of the country. I don't live off of Mommy and Daddy's money. I work, and I'm paying for grad school myself. I grew up in an upper-middle class household in a fairly moderate county in Southern Illinois. My mother and father are both teach high school. They are well-educated and intelligent, but never pretentious. I wasn't given a brand new car or a limitless credit card when I reached the golden age of 16. I drove an old (dare I say "beater") car and worked part-time while staying involved in school activities and pulling a decent GPA. I didn't run off to a big university my first semester out of high school-I stayed at a junior college in Centralia for two years where I had a music scholarship in order to save money and relieve the financial burden on my parents that may have ensued if I had headed off to U of I my first year. My parents are very comfortable, but never wasteful with their money, and heading off to college my first year would probably not changed a lot about me except for my drinking habits (which were nearly non-existent prior to my tenure at UIUC). I've been privileged, maybe even spoiled, but not to the point of rotten-ness or disillusionment with small-town America and the common man. My parents paid for my undergraduate degree. They provided me with an automobile that would get me from one place to another. But more importantly, they provided a loving home environment, unshakable support, and a strong foundation of morals-something that is rare in our society today. (as I am witnessing now that I'm a substitute teacher)

As you can see (after that long winded description), I'm not your cookie-cutter Republican. I'm pro-choice. I support tax benefits and rights for same-sex couples. I'm opposed to private school vouchers. I support health care reform. I'm a strong supporter of civil liberties and have attended gatherings of the Springfield chapter of the ACLU.

However, I am a Republican. I believe that people should be treated equally under the law, regardless of race. I believe in a government that treats individuals as adults and only intervenes when the individual is in need of assistance. I believe in the individual's right to bear arms and protect themselves in their own home. I believe the American military, and their efforts to protect our country.

I was raised with conservative values and those values are unlikely to waver as I progress throughout life. I'm not your cookie-cutter Republican who has a close-minded view about social issues or an unrealistic outlook on world issues. But I do believe in George W. Bush and his agenda for the country. I believe you don't help the poor by punishing the rich. I believe in protecting our country against the evils of the world. I believe in the ability of citizens to handle issues in their lives without government intervention.

I guess what it comes down to is this: I'm sick of being typecast as a stereotypical Republican who has blind faith in any Republican who seeks public office. My beliefs are my own, and are not a result of anything other than my own convictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home