the time of my life

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Ronald and Ray in one week. I'm not sure I can stand much else.

Let this be my tribute to Ray Charles, one of the great musicians (in my opinion) of our time. I started playing piano very young, at (barely) age 5, and Ray Charles was always a larger-than-life musical icon to me. He played and wrote with the best of them, all the while being blind. In addition, he made a great name for himself, being recognized as an accomplished musician during a very difficult era for his people. When I thought of great pianists, I thought of Beethoven, sure, but I also thought of Ray Charles. He forever will be one of my musical influences (despite the fact I don't get to play as much an more), and no doubts will be missed very much by musicians and fans of all genres.

With that I'll share one of my all-time favorite songs with you, from the man himself: here's to you, Ray.

Georgia, Georgia,
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I'm say Georgia
Georgia
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

I said Georgia,
Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

Georgia,
Georgia,
No peace, no peace I find
Just this old, sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I said just an old sweet song,
Keeps Georgia on my mind


(Funny how 3 of my all-time favorite songs relate to GEORGIA-those being "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" {written by Vicki Lawrence, performed by her and Reba} and "Midnight Train to Georgia" {written by Jim Weatherly, performed by Gladys Knight and the Pips}-but this particular Georia song takes the cake)

While I'm talking about great men who died this week, I'll go back to Ronald Reagan for a second-I was appalled to hear rumors that Bill Clinton is miffed to be left off the speaker list at his funeral. Frankly, I am annoyed at the mere thought of this, seeing as it should be clear to anyone that the only reason he's interested in speaking is to get PR in order to promote his new book. However, he's trying to make it sound like the Republicans are "excluding" him. What a jerk, and so disrespectful to Reagan's memory. You don't hear Carter bitching, or FORD for that matter, and he's a GOPer. Now is not a time for bitching between the political parties.

Ok. Enough banter. May Ray and Ronald rest in peace...they will certainly be remembered by those of us they left behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home